- Operator safety. Employers are carefully considering how to keep their operators injury-free, so avoiding accidents around the truck is just as important as on the road. Proactive measures on a work truck can include installing safety steps and grips so that the operator can maintain “three points of contact” at all times when entering and exiting the vehicle. At Reading, we’ve begun to see these concerns migrate from the very largest fleet operators and governments, into corporations and vocational fleet buyers.
- Visibility. Keeping the truck and its surroundings well-lit and visible helps protect workers from accidents on the side of the road and keeps crews productive when they’re working after sundown, especially in the winter months.
- 360° coverage. Chassis OEMs are bringing safety innovations like 360° cameras, and accident-avoidance technologies like collision warning, automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and blindspot monitoring, which used to be only on luxury cars, into the commercial truck segment. For example, every Ford Transit is now shipping with lane-departure warning and forward-collision warning camera systems.
- Securing tools and gear. A typical work truck now provides at least two layers of ‘locking’ protection. Compartment doors will use power locks or three-point locking for additional points of contact and pry-proofing. And these measures can be augmented with a “bar lock” or master locking feature, where a single padlock can secure all of the compartment doors to keep tools and equipment safe. Additionally, Reading’s remote keyless entry locking system, called Latch-Matic, can now be integrated with the power locks on the chassis. A driver can now lock and unlock both the body and chassis with a single key-fob. Using just the chassis fob, for example on a Ford Super Duty or Ford Transit, gives our customers the convenience they have been asking for.
- Ergonomics. For better ergonomics, handles and steps are no longer considered a special add-in, they’re becoming a standard offering across the board. As an example, fixed steps that don’t have to be manually unfolded by the operator will help meet evolving safety requirements and might even lower insurance costs.
By James Muiter, Product Line Manager, Reading Truck Group as published in Fordpros magazine
What is my payload weight? This video provides simple instructions for how to use the Payload function on the CURT BetterWeigh™ mobile towing scale. With this feature, you can get an active readout on your smartphone of the weight of your truck’s payload as you are loading cargo and materials.
The CURT BetterWeigh™ #51701 is a Bluetooth-enabled OBD2 device that wirelessly syncs with your smartphone to provide a variety of vehicle and trailer weights. This includes gross combined weight, payload and tongue weight, as well as weight distribution setup and trailer brake gain.
To measure the weight of your payload with BetterWeigh™, begin by selecting the weight readout range that best suits your vehicle. To change the readout, tap the gear icon and select Payload. Then, choose a weight range.
Next, select the Payload feature from the BetterWeigh™ app homescreen. Make sure your vehicle is parked in the spot where you intend to load it. Get out of the vehicle and tap Ready. Don’t touch the vehicle while it is taking its initial reading.
Once the pitch of the vehicle is measured, you can begin loading your truck bed and get your payload weight in real time.
Know the Towing and Payload Differences! with 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 Ton Trucks!
Allen Wrench says Harbor is the best at understanding that you need to use the right tool at the right time in the right vehicle. That’s why Harbor is the leader in “industry-first” innovations dedicated to making your job easier and more productive. To explore more, click on the learn more button.
As America’s premier manufacturer of service and platform bodies (and now van interiors), we enjoy a long history of “industry-first” design innovations dedicated to making your job easier and more productive.
Our bodies are loaded with more industry-first innovations than any other company in the industry. Some examples are:
- Stainless Steel Pop-Top Lids that are self-opening with the pull of a single lever (plus, they are impervious to the elements);
- Modern Gas Shock door stays on all vertical doors;
- Use of Teflon Glides on our telescoping Cargo Bed Enclosures (instead of roller bearings that irritatingly seize up) that glide open with the push of a single finger;
- Push-Button Locks with a visible red band on the door lock telling you your door is not secured…if the red band shows, push in the button. Now your tools are secure;
- Bumper step depth is 8 inches minimum and deep enough to give your boot a firm purchase on the bumper without slipping off. This makes for easy access to tools or materials from the bed area or rack. Hard to say why no one thought of this before! By the way, these bumpers are made of formed channel and are the heaviest duty in the industry!
- These are but a few examples of Harbor’s industry-first inventions that many other companies have now adopted.
It’s thanks to our engineering team that Harbor is able to always deliver the best quality products to our customers. They have a combined total experience of over 50 years, which lets them tackle any challenge head on. They even hold patents for some of Harbor’s best innovations. With an arsenal of modern technology, they are always on the cutting edge of the industry.
- 63-inch raised and vented front compartment with bottle brackets and rings inside to hold standard sized oxygen and acetylene tanks
- Stainless Steel self-opening pop-top lids w/ body length compartment bins & 4" dividers
- Push Button locking system with red band locking indicator
- Modern gas shocks on each side opening door to keep them open during loading and unloading
- 8" deep recessed bumper for sure footing when entering bed
- Armless and self supporting tailgate work table
- Adjustable, but lockable, shelving system
- Weather shield system around locks, doors, and hingles, preventing leaks and securing the tools of your trade. Neoprene door seals, water-proof gaskets, self-sealing stainless steel rivets, and silky smooth three-point door latches with Teflon glides.
Ford has also named Google Cloud its preferred cloud provider to leverage Google’s world-class expertise in data, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML)
As part of this new, six-year partnership—and beginning in 2023—millions of future Ford and Lincoln vehicles at all price points will be powered by Android, with Google apps and services built-in
To drive ongoing innovation, Ford and Google are establishing a new collaborative group, Team Upshift, that will push the boundaries of Ford’s transformation, unlock personalized consumer experiences, and drive disruptive, data-driven opportunities
Dearborn, Mich., and Sunnyvale, Calif., Feb. 1, 2021 – Ford and Google today announced a unique strategic partnership to accelerate Ford’s transformation and reinvent the connected vehicle experience. Ford has also named Google Cloud its preferred cloud provider to leverage Google’s world-class expertise in data, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML). As part of this new, six-year partnership—and beginning in 2023—millions of future Ford and Lincoln vehicles at all price points will be powered by Android, with Google apps and services built-in.
To drive ongoing innovation, Ford and Google are establishing a new collaborative group, Team Upshift. Leveraging the talent and assets of both companies, Team Upshift will push the boundaries of Ford’s transformation, unlock personalized consumer experiences, and drive disruptive, data-driven opportunities. This may include projects ranging from developing new retail experiences when buying a vehicle, creating new ownership offers based on data, and more.
“As Ford continues the most profound transformation in our history with electrification, connectivity and self-driving, Google and Ford coming together establishes an innovation powerhouse truly able to deliver a superior experience for our customers and modernize our business,” said Jim Farley, President and CEO of Ford.
“From the first moving assembly line to the latest driver-assist technology, Ford has set the pace of innovation for the automotive industry for nearly 120 years,” said Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google and Alphabet. “We’re proud to partner to apply the best of Google’s AI, data analytics, compute and cloud platforms to help transform Ford's business and build automotive technologies that keep people safe and connected on the road.”
As its preferred cloud provider and starting later this year, Google will help Ford leverage Google Cloud’s AI, ML and data analytics technologies to accelerate the automaker’s digital transformation, modernize operations, and power connected vehicle technologies with Google’s trusted, secure, and reliable cloud. With Google Cloud, Ford plans to:
Further improve customer experiences for customers with differentiated technology and personalized services;
Accelerate modernization of product development, manufacturing and supply chain management, including exploration of using vision AI for manufacturing employee training and even more reliable plant equipment performance;
Fast track the implementation of data-driven business models resulting in customers receiving real-time notices such as maintenance requests or trade-in alerts.
Ford and Google have a shared vision to bring enjoyable, safer and more efficient connected vehicle experiences built to minimize driver distraction and keep customers at the forefront of technology with over-the-air updates. Beginning in 2023, Ford and Lincoln customers globally will start to benefit from unique digital experiences built on top of the Android operating system and with Google apps and services built-in, which include world-class map and voice technology:
With Google Assistant, drivers can keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel, by getting things done with just their voice.
With Google Maps as the vehicles’ primary navigation, drivers can reach their destination faster with information on real-time traffic, automatic rerouting, lane guidance and more.
With Google Play, drivers will have access to their favorite apps for listening to music, podcasts, audiobooks and more. These apps are optimized and integrated for in-vehicle use.
Android in the car also enables Ford and third-party developers to build apps that provide a constantly improving and ever-more-personalized ownership experience.
“We are obsessed with creating must-have, distinctively Ford products and services,” said Farley. “This integration will unleash our teams to innovate for Ford and Lincoln customers while seamlessly providing access to Google’s world-class apps and services.”
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan. The company designs, manufactures, markets and services a full line of Ford cars, trucks, SUVs, electrified vehicles and Lincoln luxury vehicles, provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company and is pursuing leadership positions in electrification; mobility solutions, including self-driving services; and connected services. Ford employs approximately 187,000 people worldwide. For more information regarding Ford, its products and Ford Motor Credit Company, please visit corporate.ford.com.
About Google Cloud
Google Cloud provides organizations with leading infrastructure, platform capabilities and industry solutions. We deliver enterprise-grade cloud solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology to help companies operate more efficiently and adapt to changing needs, giving customers a foundation for the future. Customers in more than 150 countries turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to solve their most critical business problems.
Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Through products and platforms like Search, Maps, Gmail, Android, Google Play, Chrome and YouTube, Google plays a meaningful role in the daily lives of billions of people and has become one of the most widely-known companies in the world. Google is a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc